British Superbike racing team Crescent Suzuki announced it will enter the World Superbike Championship next year, but Suzuki racing fans are perhaps left with even more questions about the 2012 racing season. Crescent Suzuki will enter two riders on GSX-R1000 superbikes next season, but the team has not named its riders or described the level […]
Results From Day 1 Of World Supersport Testing At Phillip Island
Despite losing the World Supersport title last year to a hard-charging Sam Lowes, Mahi Racing Team India’s Kenan Sofuoglu, aboard his Kawasaki ZX-6R, hasn’t lost any of the pace that has made him the overwhelming favorite heading into 2014. He topped the timesheets on the first day of testing at Phillip Island, setting a time of 1:33.521, putting him at near lap-record pace.
Second on the day was Dutchman Michael van der Mark, aboard the Pata Honda CBR600RR. His time of 1:33.918 made him the only other rider to dip into the 1:33′s. An impressive third goes to Vladimir Leonov (1:34.360), who switched from Yamaha machinery last year to the MV Agusta F3 675, as part of the Italian manufacturer’s factory-backed return to international racing.
American PJ Jacobsen was eighth fastest (1:34.723) in this, his rookie season in WSS. He spent last year in the British Superbike series.
Monday’s combined times:
1. Kenan Sofuoglu (Kawasaki) 1:33.521
2. Michael Vd Mark (Honda) 1:33.918
3. Vladimir Leonov (MV Agusta) 1:34.360
4. Jack Kennedy (Honda) 1:34.393
5. Fabio Menghi (Yamaha) 1:34.402
6. Riccardo Russo (Honda) 1:34.550
7. Kevin Coghlan (Yamaha) 1:34.619
8. PJ Jacobsen (Kawasaki) 1:34.723
9. Lorenzo Zanetti (Honda) 1:34.860
10. Florian Marino (Kawasaki) 1:34.944