MV Agusta giving up to $2000 on non-ABS models
Results From Day 1 Of World Superbike Testing At Phillip Island
Eugene Laverty, aboard his Voltcom Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000, led the field today as the first day of World Superbike testing got underway at the Phillip Island circuit in Australia, site of the first race of the 2014 season.
Under sunny skies and perfect weather conditions, Laverty adapted quickly to his new ride after spending last season aboard the Aprilia RSV4 Factory. The Suzuki offered incredible feedback and allowed him to push right out of the gates, ultimately setting a fastest lap time of 1:30.513.
Ducati‘s Davide Giugliano, aboard the 1199 Panigale, managed the second fastest time (1:30.718), while reigning champion Tom Sykes came third on his Kawasaki ZX-10R (1:30.737). Laverty’s teammate, reigning British Superbike champion, and WSBK rookie, Alex Lowes is impressing many in the paddock with his sheer speed, setting the fifth fastest time.
Meanwhile, the Team Hero Erik Buell Racing team of Geoff May and Aaron Yates encountered technical problems with the 1190RX during the test, opting to sit out the second session of the day.
Monday’s combined times:
1. Eugene Laverty (Suzuki) 1:30.513
2. Davide Giugliano (Ducati) 1:30.718
3. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki) 1:30.737
4. Loris Baz (Kawasaki) 1:30.757
5. Alex Lowes (Suzuki) 1:31.000
6. Marco Melandri (Aprilia) 1:31.146
7. Leon Haslam (Honda) 1:31.172
8. Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia) 1:31.321
9. Jonathan Rea (Honda) 1:31.404
10. Chaz Davies (Ducati) 1:31.419
23. Geoff May (EBR) 1:38.152
24. Aaron Yates (EBR) 1:39.656