Yamaha unveiled the new 2012 Zuma 50F four-stroke scooter, the replacement for the two-stroke Zuma. The new 2012 Yamaha Zuma 50F is powered by a 49cc liquid-cooled fuel injected four-stroke engine, an update from the 2011 Zuma’s 49cc air-cooled carbureted two-stroke engine. According to Yamaha, the Zuma 50F claims an estimated 132 mpg compared to […]
2012 Harley-Davidson Dyna Switchback Revealed
Harley-Davidson has revealed a new member to its Dyna family featuring quick change convertibility from touring to cruiser mode.
As we expected, the new Harley-Davidson Dyna Switchback features hard saddlebags and fork-mounted windshield that can be removed quickly and without tools, allowing it to change from a touring motorcycle to a cruiser, and back again.
The Dyna Switchback uses Harley-Davidson’s Twin Cam 103 engine, 2-into-1 chrome exhaust, and five-spoke cast aluminum wheels with full fenders.
According to Harley-Davidson, the Switchback has a curb weight of 718 pounds, about 94 pounds lighter than the Road King.
Ride the open highways in the day:
Then go out on the town in the evening:
The 2012 Harley-Davidson Dyna Switchback will be available in Vivid Black for $15,999 or in either Brilliant Pearl Silver or Ember Red Sunglo for $16,384.
2012 Harley-Davidson V-Rod 10th Anniversary Edition and Updated Night Rod Unveiled
Harley-Davidson Announces Returning 2012 Sportster, Touring, and Trike Models
New 2012 Harley-Davidson Models Named in CARB Documents
NEW DYNA® SWITCHBACK IS A CUSTOM TOURING CONVERTIBLE
With Detachable Hard Bags and Windshield, Switchback is Two Bikes in One
MILWAUKEE (July 20, 2011) – The new Dyna® Switchback motorcycle from Harley-Davidson® is a quick-change artist. With its color-matched hard saddlebags and a fork-mounted windshield in place, the Switchback is a custom touring motorcycle. But in seconds, the detachable saddlebags and quick-detach windshield can be removed without tools. Now the Switchback is a custom street cruiser with a gleaming headlamp nacelle, five-spoke cast-aluminum wheels and a mini-ape handlebar. When it’s time to head out for a long weekend, simply re-install the saddlebags and windshield, and the Switchback is ready to roll for the state line.
The Switchback is powered by a muscular Twin Cam 103™ V-Twin engine that delivers strong performance on the boulevard and on the highway. The Switchback is the lightest custom touring motorcycle in its displacement category, and at 718 pounds ready-to-ride is 94 pounds lighter than a Harley-Davidson Road King®. New front-end geometry, premium suspension components, and a low-profile front tire give the Switchback a plush ride and responsive handling.
“The new front end geometry, wheel and tire specs, and cartridge fork are engineered to work together to produce steering that’s light to input and immediately responsive,” Brian Scherbarth, Switchback project lead engineer. “A demo ride will reveal that Switchback is a capable touring motorcycle that’s also really fun to ride.”
Designed to look great with or without its saddlebags, the Switchback is styled to evoke a classic proportion and clean, straightforward lines from its 4.7-gallon fuel tank to the sweep of its full-coverage rear fenders. The bend of the mini-ape handlebar and its pull-back riser, full-length rider footboards and a two-up touring seat offer most riders all-day comfort.
Key Dyna Switchback Features
- Twin Cam 103™ engine with 103-cid (1690cc), rubber-mounted within the frame, is rated at 100 ft. lbs. of torque at 3500 RPM. The engine is equipped with Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI) and is mated to a 6-speed Cruise Drive® transmission.
- 2-into-1 chrome exhaust with straight-cut muffler tuned for a deep exhaust tone.
- Advanced suspension is tuned for comfort and precise handling. Nitrogen-charged, monotube rear shocks have preload-adjustable, dual rate springs. A 41.3mm front fork with a 20mm cartridge delivers enhanced damping performance, handling and ride comfort.
- Low-profile Dunlop® 130/70B18 front tire and specific front-end geometry provides reduced steering effort, enhanced steering response and confident low-speed manuevering.
- Color-matched detachable hard saddlebags have a combined luggage capacity of 30 pounds. The saddlebag locks are common to the ignition key, and external latches do not interfere with packing or reduce usable bag volume.
- Quick-detach, fork-mounted windshield.
- The Black, 5-Spoke Cast Aluminum wheels have machine-highlighted rims; 18-inch front, 17-inch rear.
- Full-coverage front and rear fenders.
- Chrome headlamp nacelle.
- Chrome fork covers and chrome rear shock covers.
- Chrome tank console with integrated ignition switch.
- Classic black battery box cover.
- Full-length rider footboards.
- The one-piece, two-up seat features custom stitched detail. Seat height (laden) is 26.1 inches. Its narrow cross section enables flat-foot stops for most riders.
- Security Package Option bundles Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Smart Security System with proximity-based, hands-free security fob.
- Stainless steel, mini ape-hanger handlebar on pull-back riser.
- 4.7-gallon fuel tank.
Harley-Davidson Motor Company produces heavyweight custom, cruiser and touring motorcycles and offers a complete line of Harley-Davidson motorcycle parts, accessories, riding gear and apparel, and general merchandise. For more information, visit Harley-Davidson’s Web site at www.harley-davidson.com.