It’s almost automatic every time we write about Harley-Davidson that the company’s critics jump out to say how its bikes are heavy or assembled from parts bin leftovers or technologically decades behind its competitors. What these naysayers either forget or completely ignore is that Harley-Davidson motorcycles continue to sell. In its first quarter 2014 financial […]
2012 Harley-Davidson V-Rod 10th Anniversary Edition and Updated Night Rod Unveiled
Harley-Davidson is celebrating the 10th anniversary of its V-Rod line with a few updates as well as a special edition model.
First introduced in the 2002 model year, the V-Rod marked a new era for Harley-Davidson, with the V-Rod’s 1130cc 60-degree V-Twin Revolution engine, the Motor Company’s first production engine with liquid cooling and overhead camshafts.
The 2012 Harley-Davidson V-Rod line is equipped with the latest generation 1250cc Revolution engine with dual overhead camshafts, four-valve cylinder heads and fuel injection.
The 2012 Night Rod Special receives several updates including inverted forks (as introduced on the V-Rod Muscle), new five-spoke cast aluminum wheels (said to be three pounds lighter than previous wheels), new pullback handlebars (positioned 3 inches closer to the rider, repositioned footpegs (also moved closer to the seat), tapered tail section, stylized speed screen visor and 10th anniversary badging.
The 10th Anniversary Edition V-Rod includes all the updates on the Night Rod but features a Brilliant Silver Pearl color scheme with color-matched frame and forks, and various chrome and polished surfaces.
The V-Rod Muscle returns unchanged except for a 10th anniversary emblem.
The 10th Anniversary Edition V-Rod is priced at $15,999. The 2012 Harley-Davidson Night Rod starts at $15,299 for the Vivid Black version (Sedona Orange or Black Denim are extra). The 2012 Harley-Davidson V-Rod Muscle starts at $14,999 for Vivid Black ( extra for Chrome Yellow and Black Denim colors).
10 YEARS AFTER THE REVOLUTION, V-ROD® POWERS ONWARD
V-Rod® 10th Anniversary Edition and Updated Night Rod® Special Launched for 2012
MILWAUKEE (July 20, 2011) – Harley-Davidson celebrates a decade of pavement-pounding performance with the V-Rod® 10th Anniversary Edition motorcycle, one of three models in a 2012 V-Rod line that also includes an updated Night Rod® Special and the V-Rod Muscle®. Introduced as a 2002 model, the original V-Rod ushered in a new era of Harley-Davidson performance. Its 1130cc 60-degree Revolution® V-Twin engine was the first Harley-Davidson production engine equipped with overhead cam shafts and liquid cooling, and came with a high-winding 9000-RPM redline. Inspired by drag-racing bikes and monster-motor customs, the V-Rod debuted with aluminum disc wheels, a raked out chassis, fast-back seat and anodized aluminum bodywork, a new styling direction for Harley-Davidson.
In just 10 years, the Harley-Davidson V-Rod family grew to include a number of new models. V-Rod took to the track as the basis for the 2007 Custom Vehicle Operations V-Rod Destroyer, an eight-second factory drag racer. It was also the inspiration for the Harley-Davidson Screamin’ Eagle/Vance & Hines V-Rod, a four-time world champion in Pro Stock Motorcycle professional drag racing. For 2012, Harley-Davidson V-Rod models continue to serve up explosive performance and urban-cool styling for riders seeking a singular power-cruiser experience.
All 2012 V-Rod models are powered by the latest version of the Revolution engine, a 1250cc liquid-cooled V-Twin with dual overhead camshafts, four-valve cylinder heads and Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI). The powertrain is equipped with an Assist and Slip clutch, five-speed transmission and high-performance carbon-fiber drive belt. Tires are Michelin Scorcher radials, including a 240mm rear. Brembo® triple-disc performance brakes are available with optional factory-installed anti-lock braking system (ABS). ABS is part of the optional Security Package that also includes the Smart Security System with proximity-based, hands-free security fob.
Night Rod Special
Dark and sinister, the restyled Night Rod Special features a new tapered tail section, lighter-weight wheels, and improved ergonomics with reduced reach to both the rider footpegs and handlebar. Inverted front forks and retuned rear suspension enhance ride and handling. This is a blacked-out, dead-on power cruiser that’s at home in a back alley.
Key Night Rod Features:
- Rubber-mounted, liquid-cooled, 1250 cc Revolution® engine with Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI); 125 hp @ 8,250 RPM; 85 ft. lbs. @ 7,000 rpm.
- Straight-shot exhaust with brushed finish dual mufflers; black end caps and exhaust shield.
- NEW Black, split five-spoke cast aluminum wheels are three pounds lighter than previous wheels.
- NEW Tapered tail section with flush-mount LED taillight.
- NEW Pullback handlebar places controls three inches closer to the rider and optimizes overall feel with a low, wide position.
- NEW Reduced reach, forward-mounted rider footpegs.
- NEW Inverted front forks.
- NEW Two-up seat with custom stitching.
- NEW Stylized, black speed screen visor.
- NEW Slim design, center-mount license plate.
- NEW Graphics options include Sedona Orange or Vivid Black with perforated graphics on the side of the air box and tail section, and Denim Black with orange racing stripes.
- Black powder-coated engine with black covers.
- Blacked-out frame, handlebar, front fork, triple clamps and covers.
- Sport front fender with painted brace supports.
- 240 mm wide rear tire.
V-Rod 10th Anniversary Edition
A tribute to the original V-Rod that will be offered only in 2012, its Brilliant Silver Pearl bodywork with color-matched frame is exclusive in the V-Rod line. Extra chrome and polished surfaces dazzle on the engine, exhaust and speed screen. This special edition features all of the new additions made to the Night Rod Special for 2012.
Key V-Rod 10th Anniversary Edition Features:
- Rubber-mounted, liquid-cooled, 1250 cc Revolution® engine with Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI); 125 hp @ 8,250 rpm; 85 ft. lbs. @ 7,000 rpm.
- NEW Straight-shot exhaust with dual, chrome slash-cut mufflers and chrome exhaust shield.
- NEW Split five-spoke cast aluminum wheels with diamond cut highlights.
- NEW Pullback handlebar with polished finish.
- NEW Inverted front forks in silver and polished finishes.
- NEW Stylized, chrome speed screen visor.
- NEW Graphics, including V-Rod 10th anniversary emblem.
- NEW Chrome powertrain with platinum crankcase and heads.
- 240 mm wide rear tire.
This power cruiser is a brawny beast for performance enthusiasts who crave power and control, with a dash of intimidation. Styling features include a wide airbox cover, side cover scoops, and dual exhausts in satin chrome with fat, turn-out mufflers. An abbreviated tail section and chopped rear fender expose the 240mm rear tire. A deep seat holds the rider firmly in place against the thrust of the Revolution V-Twin engine.
Key V-Rod Muscle® Features
- Rubber-mounted, liquid-cooled, 1250 cc Revolution® engine with Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI); 122 hp @ 8,250 rpm; 86 ft. lbs. @ 6,500 rpm. Satin chrome dual exhaust with turn-out mufflers.
- NEW V-Rod 10th Anniversary emblem.
- Black, five-spoke cast aluminum wheels.
- Sport front fender with black brace supports and blacked-out rear section.
- Polished aluminum handlebar with integrated riser.
- Polished forged-aluminum triple clamps.
- Chopped rear fender.
- Angular airbox with side covers.
- Color-matched radiator shrouds.
- LED front turn signals integrated in mirror stems.
- LED combined stop/tail/turn light integrated within rear fender.
- Side-mounted license plate.
- 43 mm inverted front forks.
- Stylized rear shocks with black springs.
- Black frame.
- Deep, drag-style two-up seat.
Harley-Davidson Motor Company produces heavyweight custom, cruiser and touring motorcycles and offers a complete line of Harley-Davidson motorcycle parts, accessories, riding gear and apparel, and general merchandise. For more information, visit Harley-Davidson’s Web site at www.harley-davidson.com.