One of the world’s largest private collections of Ducati motorcycles is going on the auction block. Former Ducati factory test rider, racer and dealer Carlo Saltarelli is selling his collection of classic motorcycles at RM Auction‘s biennial auction in Monaco on May 11-12 during the Grand Prix of Monaco Historique. Saltarelli’s collection includes 100 motorcycles […]
Brough Superior Fetches $427k At Bonhams Auction
The ex-George Brough, Brough Superior SS100, which was projected to sell in the neighborhood of $235k – $300k, actually brought in nearly half a million dollars Sunday. Registered in 1939, the motorcycle was campaigned by George Brough himself in the London-Edinburgh Trial that same year.The grand final tally for the Bonhams Stafford Sale of Pioneer, Vintage, and Collectors’ Motorcycles & Memorabilia totaled $3,419,981.
“We are delighted with the results achieved for this long and well-established sale. The SS100 was a record price at auction for a Matchless engined example and the owner was truly astounded with the result achieved,” said Ben Walker, Head of Motorcycles at Bonhams. An outstanding 89% of lots were sold (91% by value), with many machines selling over estimate. Online bidding was strong with buyers from as far away as Australia and New Zealand – along with people in the auction room from, amongst other countries, Canada, America, France, Italy and Holland.”
Other sales of interest include:
- The ex-Phil Vare 1929 Scott racing motorcycle, raced by Vare at the Isle of Man TT, sold for £31,050.
- 1972 MV Agusta 750S- estimated at $75,000-92,000; sold for $144,000
- c.1914 Henderson Model C- estimated at $67,000-100,000; sold for $135,000
- 1953 Vincent 998cc Black Shadow- estimated at $64,000-76,000, sold for $119,000
- Still in original crate, ‘as new’ condition, 1989 Ducati 888cc Lucchinelli Replica Racing Motorcycle- estimated at $24,000-30,000; sold for $63,800
- 1939 Brough Superior 990cc SS80 Project- estimated at $20,000-30,000; sold for $61,900
Malcolm Barber, Bonhams Group CEO and auctioneer at the Sale, commented, “New buyers and international bidding buoyed prices with a strong sell through rate. A new venue within the Show for the first time in 27 years gave greater comfort to bidders and a better viewing platform.”