The top selling model of Bonhams annual sale of collectors’ motorcycles, a 1966 Norton 350cc Manx prepared by legendary tuner Francis Beart and raced by Joe Dunphy and Keith Heckles, fetched a whopping $100,481 last Sunday. The auction price more than doubled the top selling estimate and set a new world record for a Manx sold at auction. Eighty […]
Brough Superior Fetches $427k At Bonhams Auction
The ex-George Brough, Brough Superior SS100, which was projected to sell in the neighborhood of $235k – $300k, actually brought in nearly half a million dollars Sunday. Registered in 1939, the motorcycle was campaigned by George Brough himself in the London-Edinburgh Trial that same year.The grand final tally for the Bonhams Stafford Sale of Pioneer, Vintage, and Collectors’ Motorcycles & Memorabilia totaled $3,419,981.
“We are delighted with the results achieved for this long and well-established sale. The SS100 was a record price at auction for a Matchless engined example and the owner was truly astounded with the result achieved,” said Ben Walker, Head of Motorcycles at Bonhams. An outstanding 89% of lots were sold (91% by value), with many machines selling over estimate. Online bidding was strong with buyers from as far away as Australia and New Zealand – along with people in the auction room from, amongst other countries, Canada, America, France, Italy and Holland.”
Other sales of interest include:
- The ex-Phil Vare 1929 Scott racing motorcycle, raced by Vare at the Isle of Man TT, sold for £31,050.
- 1972 MV Agusta 750S- estimated at $75,000-92,000; sold for $144,000
- c.1914 Henderson Model C- estimated at $67,000-100,000; sold for $135,000
- 1953 Vincent 998cc Black Shadow- estimated at $64,000-76,000, sold for $119,000
- Still in original crate, ‘as new’ condition, 1989 Ducati 888cc Lucchinelli Replica Racing Motorcycle- estimated at $24,000-30,000; sold for $63,800
- 1939 Brough Superior 990cc SS80 Project- estimated at $20,000-30,000; sold for $61,900
Malcolm Barber, Bonhams Group CEO and auctioneer at the Sale, commented, “New buyers and international bidding buoyed prices with a strong sell through rate. A new venue within the Show for the first time in 27 years gave greater comfort to bidders and a better viewing platform.”