In February, Bohnams auction house in Paris will allow both the Catholic and the Harley faithful to bid on a Harley-Davidson Dyna Super Glide owned by none other than Pope Francis, himself. Given to the Pope last year as part of the Harley-Davidson 110th anniversary celebration, the bike was unlikely to become the Popecycle because of the security required […]
Brough Superior Fetches $427k At Bonhams Auction
The ex-George Brough, Brough Superior SS100, which was projected to sell in the neighborhood of $235k – $300k, actually brought in nearly half a million dollars Sunday. Registered in 1939, the motorcycle was campaigned by George Brough himself in the London-Edinburgh Trial that same year.The grand final tally for the Bonhams Stafford Sale of Pioneer, Vintage, and Collectors’ Motorcycles & Memorabilia totaled $3,419,981.
“We are delighted with the results achieved for this long and well-established sale. The SS100 was a record price at auction for a Matchless engined example and the owner was truly astounded with the result achieved,” said Ben Walker, Head of Motorcycles at Bonhams. An outstanding 89% of lots were sold (91% by value), with many machines selling over estimate. Online bidding was strong with buyers from as far away as Australia and New Zealand – along with people in the auction room from, amongst other countries, Canada, America, France, Italy and Holland.”
Other sales of interest include:
- The ex-Phil Vare 1929 Scott racing motorcycle, raced by Vare at the Isle of Man TT, sold for £31,050.
- 1972 MV Agusta 750S- estimated at $75,000-92,000; sold for $144,000
- c.1914 Henderson Model C- estimated at $67,000-100,000; sold for $135,000
- 1953 Vincent 998cc Black Shadow- estimated at $64,000-76,000, sold for $119,000
- Still in original crate, ‘as new’ condition, 1989 Ducati 888cc Lucchinelli Replica Racing Motorcycle- estimated at $24,000-30,000; sold for $63,800
- 1939 Brough Superior 990cc SS80 Project- estimated at $20,000-30,000; sold for $61,900
Malcolm Barber, Bonhams Group CEO and auctioneer at the Sale, commented, “New buyers and international bidding buoyed prices with a strong sell through rate. A new venue within the Show for the first time in 27 years gave greater comfort to bidders and a better viewing platform.”