Carlin Dunne set a new course record for motorcycles in Ducati’s second consecutive Pikes Peak International Hill Climb victory. Riding the Ducati Multistrada 1200, Dunne completed the 12.42 mile course in 11:11.32 for the win in the 1205 class for 900cc and larger Twin cylinder machines. Dunne’s time was also 34 seconds faster than the […]
Goodwood-Inspired Motorsport Festival Coming To North America
If you’re a fan of the Goodwood Festival of Speed living in North America but haven’t been able to attend, you’re in luck. The Glory Days Celebration of Speed Motorsport Extravaganza, scheduled for June 27 – 29, 2014, is “unashamedly patterned after the world’s most famous and most attended motoring event – The Goodwood Festival of Speed,” says event organizer, Bob DeShane.
The Glory Days Event will be presented in the spirit and style of the phenomenally successful Goodwood Festival of Speed which was first launched in 1995 and has become so popular that it is now the world’s largest automotive event with over 180,000 attending in 2013.
Adopting the mantra, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it,” the Glory Days festival is borrowing many of the same things found at Goodwood. Here are just a few of the events and competitions set to take place during the course of the weekend:
- Hillclimb competition accommodating any car or motorcycle
- Soap Box racing that will challenge race shops, racers, club members, car owners, kids and adults alike
- A car auction for interesting cars and motorcycles
- Clubs Corral areas and “Dreamscape” car and bike show
- Staged press gatherings and “Meet the Celebrities” session
- “Rolling Road Show” involving car and motorcycle manufacturers and dealers demonstrating their latest models
- Lapping sessions in your own car at a brisk but safe speed to get a taste of the on track action
- “Dreamscape” Car & Motorcycle Show. Admission is free with entry and all cars or motorcycles are welcome
- Glory Days parade laps open only to “Dreamscape” show entrants
- VIP hosting and luncheons
- Children’s amusements – this isn’t just a show for adults!
- Vendors of all types from T-Shirts to tool boxes
Says DeShane, “Back in the fifties, sixties and seventies it was much easier enjoy the full experience of driving and riding. The roads were less crowded and it was easier to take the steps necessary to get involved in clubs and competition, get on track, if you wanted to. But, over the years things have just gotten so expensive, so regulated, so structured that today, many enthusiasts and potential enthusiasts find it terribly difficult to get involved or even stay interested.
We have designed the Glory Days Celebration of Speed to bring back the freedom and the excitement that has been lost. We aim to re-engage people and re-store the connection between them and their passion in a fashion and style that could only be possible at one of the world’s truly great racing facilities, Canadian Tire Motorsport Park.”