Suzuki declared a loss of 2.4 billion yen (US$30.0 million) from its motorcycle division over the fiscal year ended March 31, 2012. Though still a loss, it’s an improvement on the loss of 10.8 billion yen reported the previous year. Suzuki attributes the loss to an appreciating yen and the financial impact from heavy flooding […]
Suzuki Requests Invite to Official 2013 MotoGP Tests
When Suzuki pulled out of MotoGP racing a year ago, the manufacturer said it hoped to return by the 2014 season. In the time since suspending its MotoGP program, Suzuki has been showing signs it is on track for a 2014 return.
Work on Suzuki’s 1000cc MotoGP project is apparently proceeding as planned, with the manufacturer reportedly ready to join official testing during the upcoming season.
Speaking to BBC Sport, Dorna Chief Executive Officer Carmelo Ezpeleta confirms Suzuki has asked to be included in some official MotoGP tests during the 2013 Championship.
“(Suzuki) are asking us to have some testing during the 2013 season and if everything goes well maybe we will see them in 2014,” says Ezpeleta.
Suzuki was reportedly in talks with Randy de Puniet to test the new MotoGP racebike but the French rider is already under contract with the Power Electronics Aspar CRT squad for next season. De Puniet was previously linked to Suzuki before the manufacturer confirmed its departure from MotoGP racing.
As welcome as another manufacturer would be to MotoGP, Ezpeleta says the more important issue is competitiveness. A fourth factory effort joining Ducati, Honda and Yamaha would be nice, but it matters little if it doesn’t make racing more interesting.
“The main thing is to have more competitive races. If we can do that with more manufacturers than all the better, but having competitive bikes is the key,” Ezpeleta tells BBC Sport.
[Source: BBC Sport]