The American Motorcyclist Association recently, quietly released an official endorsement of lane splitting. A summary of the position statement reads: “Given the ongoing success of lane splitting in California and the recent enthusiasm for lane splitting and/or filtering in other states, the AMA endorses these practices and will assist groups and individuals working to bring legal […]
AMA Announces America’s 15 Best Motorcycling Roads
The American Motorcyclist Association announced a list of the top 15 motorcycling roads in America, as selected by its members.
The list, which will be featured in the April issue of American Motorcyclist magazine, was distilled from over 100 nominations.
The top route is the Beartooth Highway, pictured above. A section of U.S. Highway 212 between Redlodge and Cooke City in Montana, the Beartooth Highway traces the Montana-Wyoming border and has an elevation of 10,947 feet.
See the rest of the list after the jump:
Here’s the top 15 countdown. Let us know if you’ve ridden one of these routes, and what you thought of the ride:
15. Washington Route 129 and Oregon Route 3, Clarkston, Wash., to Enterprise, Ore.
14. Ohio Route 170, Calcutta to Poland.
13. California Route 58, McKittrick to Santa Margarita.
12. U.S. Route 33, Harrisonburg, Va., to Seneca Rocks, W.Va.
11. Natchez Trace, from Natchez, Miss., to Nashville, Tenn.
10. Angeles Crest Highway, California Route 2.
9. U.S. Route 12, Lolo Pass, Idaho and Montana.
8. California Route 36.
7. Cherohala Skyway, North Carolina and Tennessee.
6. Going to the Sun Road, Glacier National Park, Montana.
5. California Route 1, Pacific Coast Highway.
4. U.S. Route 550, from Ouray to Durango, Colo.
3. U.S. Route 129 — The Tail of the Dragon — on the North Carolina-Tennessee border.
2. Blue Ridge Parkway, North Carolina.
1. Beartooth Highway, Montana and Wyoming.