Time to dust off your first-gen R1, RC51, SV650, or even your FZR400 – MotoWest GP has introduced its newest class: Formula 15. More details below, from MWGP’s official press release.
Any motorcycle 15 years or older by model/engine year (or like construction), except for singles, which have no age restriction. Formula rules, no fuel or tire restrictions. Overall points eligible.
The idea is a performance index class that pits all kinds of bikes and riders on the track at the same time that have roughly a balanced set of advantages against each other. As MotoWest GP’s class structure has simplified greatly in 2016, this is a catch-all class for many experienced racers as well as those just getting into budget minded new racers.
The emphasis is on affordable racing that removed the biggest barrier to full grids. Race bikes that are fifteen years old or more are generally cheap and plentiful and relatively easy to maintain and singles and two-stroke race bikes have significant relative strengths that keep racing interesting for both riders and spectators!
MWGP status competition Formula 15 Qualifications:
• UNLIMITED! (ex: 1st gen Yamaha R1, Ducati 996, Honda RC51, Turbo Hayabusa)
• Any MIDDLEWEIGHT legal bike
• 650cc 4 stroke MULTI (ex: Kawasaki 636, Honda CBR600)
• 900cc 4 stroke TWIN (ex: Ducati 900SS, Ducati 748, 1st gen Suzuki SV650)
• All SINGLES
• All 2 stroke
• Any LIGHTWEIGHT legal bike
• 450cc 4 stroke MULTI (Yamaha FZR400, Honda NC35)
• 650cc 4 stroke TWINS (Suzuki SV650, Honda Hawk)
• All 4 stroke SINGLES (Moto3, KTM RC 390, Honda CBR300R, Super Motard, Honda Ascot)
• 400cc 2 strokes (Bikes larger than 250cc must be street model) (Yamaha TZR125, Honda RS125, Yamaha RZ 350, Honda NSR250)
6859 VALJEAN AVE. UNIT#10
VAN NUYS, CA 91406