Fastrack Riders Academy, a reality TV show-stylemotorcycle riding skills competition coached by top professional racers, including four-time AMA Pro Roadracing Champion Eric Bostrom, is now accepting applications for student cast member auditions.
The first of three remaining on-track tryouts for the second season’s 16 spots is this weekend, on April 23, at Auto Club Speedway, in Fontana, California. Additional tryouts will take place on June 23 and July 25 for the three-month competition, which begins on September 16.
Contestants who make the cut will be split up into four groups that work together during the program’s three days of instruction and exercises, then practice what they learned the following day at their own pace.
Near the end of the competition, a finalist is chosen from each team with their eyes on the grand prize, a new motorcycle. The winner is determined by coaches, as well as fans following the series via social media. Because the Academy program is not a race, its victor won’t necessarily be the fastest rider. Points are also awarded for exhibiting steady progress, consistency and safe performance.
The runner-up will roll home with five sets of Dunlop slicks; six months’ worth of free Fastrack trackdays will be awarded to the third-place finisher; a set of Chicken Hawk Racing tire warmers is the fourth-place prize; and Alpinestars riding gear will be won by the cast member who lands in fifth.
Last year’s champion, Anton Griessner, 48, from nearby Brea, California, and the rest of his team, were coached to victory by 2013 AMA Pro Roadracing XR1200 Champion and Daytona 200 winner Steve Rapp. For his efforts, Griessner, Vice President of Marketing for Maxon Lift Corp., won a 2015 KTM RC390 Cup motorcycle.
He promptly promised the bike to his 9-year old daughter, Sasha, to kickstart her roadracing career when she’s ready to move up from minibikes. Her dad, who was last seen riding the little KTM on a kart track, assured her that he’ll take great care of it until then.
Griessner, who became known as Captain Austria, was the star of the series. “The Academy was a fascinating experience,” he says. “Not only did it bring my riding to a completely new level, it also resulted in great friendships. Beyond the hard numbers of improved lap times, I’ve become a much more solid and well-rounded rider. Through the Academy, I gained a comprehensive understanding about my bike, my riding and how to keep improving.”
Fastrack’s hands-on owner and producer of the series, Imad Samhat, says, “It was amazing to see students’ on-track progress and personal growth. Our coaches, who dedicated their time and years of professional expertise, also enjoyed a unique, enriching experience. I’m excited to get season two started.”
Fastrack Riders Academy & Apex Club is the speedway’s official motorcycle trackday organization. Established in 1989, each of its 25 events in 2016 feature unique educational and extracurricular activities on and off the racetrack in an open, friendly, club-like atmosphere.
Full-length, professionally-produced videos of the Academy’s premier season are now showing on it’s official YouTube channel. Please visit FastrackRiders.info for more details about the Academy program and Fastrack trackdays. Then, become an engaged member of the community by liking Fastrack’s Facebook page and following the happenings on its YouTube, Instagram and Twitter feeds.
Fastrack Riders Academy Components:
- Three-month program videotaped for a multi-part reality TV-style online video series
- Consultation with coaches at and away from the track
- Classroom sessions
- One-on-one track training with coaches
- Live, in-helmet communication on track
- Personalized critiques of on-board videos
- Lap times recorded and posted for viewing
Fastrack Riders Academy Details
- Tryouts: April 23, June 25 and July 23
- On-Track Dates: September 16 & 17, October 22 & 23 and November 27 & 28
- Where: Auto Club Speedway, Fontana, California
- Cast: Four 4-rider teams
Eric Bostrom: 4-time AMA Pro Roadracing champion
Chris Fillmore: 2011 AMA Pro Roadracing Harley XR1200 Champion and KTM factory rider
Jeremy Toye: Pikes Peak International Hill Climb winner, Macau Grand Prix and Isle of Man TT competitior
Chris Ulrich: 18-year AMA Pro Roadracing veteran and Roadracing World Magazine Racing Editor
- Voting: By coaches and those following the series on social media
- Grand Prize: A new motorcycle
- Runner-Up Prizes: Dunlop tires, six months of Fastrack trackdays, Chicken Hawk Racing tire warmers and Alpinestars riding gear
- Program Tuition: $3500
Fastrack Riders & Apex Club 2016 Schedule
- April 22 – 24: Motorcycle Trackdays, Auto Club Speedway
- May 15: European Motorcycle Trackday–Portimão, Portugal
- May 21: European Motorcycle Trackday–Jerez, Spain
- May 21 – 22: Motorcycle Trackdays, Buttonwillow
- May 27 – 28: European Motorcycle Trackdays–Mugello, Italy
- June 24 – 26: Motorcycle Trackdays, Auto Club Speedway
- July 22 – 24: Motorcycle Trackdays, Auto Club Speedway
- September 16 – 18: Motorcycle Trackdays, Auto Club Speedway
- October 21 – 23: Motorcycle Trackdays, Auto Club Speedway
- November 26 – 27: Motorcycle Trackdays, Auto Club Speedway
- December 10 – 11: Fastrack on 4 Wheels Sports Car Trackdays
About The Fastrack Riders Academy & Apex Club
Established in 1989, the Fastrack Riders Academy & Apex Club is Auto Club Speedway’s official motorcycle trackday partner. This world-class, multi-use superspeedway facility is ideally located in Fontana, California, just 30 miles from Los Angeles.
Sponsored by BMW and KTM, Fastrack unites riders of all skill levels in a unique environment while hosting Southern California’s most convenient, best organized, all-inclusive trackdays on a challenging 2.36-mile, 21-turn roadcourse.
Much more than a simple trackday organization, Fastrack Riders added the Academy and Apex Club monikers this year to better reflect the diversity of its offerings. Blending a five-stage moto-education program with an array of extracurricular activities on and off the racetrack, every Fastrack day a multi-layered event for sportbikers to enjoy in an open, friendly, club-like atmosphere.
For more in-depth information about the Apex Club’s many unique programs and special events, please visit FastrackRiders.info. Trackday enthusiasts have an open invitation to become engaged members of it growing community by liking Fastrack’s Facebook page and following the action on its YouTube, Instagram and Twitter feeds.