With three different racers tasting victory in the first three rounds of the 2014 AMA Supercross Championship, the season was shaping up to be one of the deepest and most competitive fields we’ve seen. But at Round Four at O.o Coliseum in Oakland, Calif., Ryan Villopoto showed why he remains the top dog, leading each […]
Introducing the Extrigger: Suzuki’s Electric Answer to the Honda Grom
Suzuki announced it will present a new electric mini-bike concept at the 2013 Tokyo Motor Show. The new concept will be called the Extrigger which is a combination of the words Electric Crossover and Trigger.
At first glance, it’s easy to see the resemblance between the Suzuki Extrigger and the Honda Grom. The small size, comparatively over-sized tires and even the overall profile of the Extrigger looks like the Grom. The big difference is the Extrigger is powered by an electric motor inherited from Suzuki’s e-Let scooter.
Another difference is the Extrigger’s wireless connectivity, allowing riders to communicate with others. Other features include an aluminum frame and inverted forks like a full-sized motorcycle but in a compact package.
Describing the Extrigger, Suzuki uses many of the same buzzwords attributed to the Grom. Here’s what Suzuki has to say about the Extrigger:
- This is an electric motorcycle that was developed to give more people the chance to find out the fun of motorcycling. It is easy to ride and offers new sensations.
- An electric motor unit of the e-Let’s electric scooter is equipped on a compact frame similar to that of a small bicycle.
- While it feels like a toy bike, the Extrigger has features that are small but look like the real thing: aluminum frame, inverted front forks, front and rear disc brakes, and so on.
- Making use of visible light communication technology, the rider can receive information from the motorcycle shop or enjoy communicating with friends.
- The name Extrigger is coined from EX, which stands for Electric CROSS (X) over, and TRIGGER, which means a chance. Our desire to give people a chance to get interested in motorcycles with this model is put into its name.