The new unified electric racing series run by the International Motorcycling Federation and TTXGP has a new name: the eRoadRacing World Cup. The new World Cup, announced last month, unifies the FIM’s ePower championship with the TTXGP’s eGrandPrix series As previously announced, this year will follow the TTXGP’s traditional format, featuring two separate series in […]
Security Measures for Grand Prix of the Americas Announced Following Boston Marathon Bombings
In the wake of the deadly bombing attacks at the Boston Marathon earlier this week, the Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas, announced security measures being taken for this weekend’s MotoGP round. Circuit organizers point out these measures are standard protocol for the track and are the same as those used in last November’s Formula 1 round, but in light of recent events, decided it was a good idea to assure visitors of the security measures in place.
“Circuit of The Americas hosts large-scale sports and entertainment events throughout the year, and as a matter of practice, we restrict the types of items that can be brought into the venue by patrons and others working at the track,” says Julie Loignon, vice president of public & media relations. “We work closely with public safety and emergency services personnel at the City, County, State and Federal level to monitor activities in and around the facility. We have been in touch with local law enforcement following [Monday]‘s unfortunate events in Boston, Mass., and will work with them throughout the upcoming weekend to ensure we conduct a safe and secure event.”
Guests attending practice, qualifying and the live races will have to go through security checkpoints before they can enter the facility. Security personnel will search guests and screen all bags, purses and backpacks and remove any prohibited items.
These items include:
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Animals (exception for certified service animals)
- Bags or parcels larger than 12X12X20 inches
- Bicycles, scooters, skateboards, skates, segways, golf carts or other unauthorized means of transportation
- Coolers, thermoses or ice chests
- Distribution of unauthorized promotional or commercial material
- Food and Beverage (Note: sealed, individual, plastic bottles of water are allowed)
- Fireworks, explosives or other incendiary devices
- Glass or metal containers of any style
- Illegal substances
- Items that may be deemed a safety hazard or annoyance to participants or guests (balls, Frisbees, balloons, projectiles, horns, radios, bells, whistles, musical instruments, laser pointers, etc.)
- Large, golf-type umbrellas
- Non-collapsible chairs
- Tents or canopies
- Video cameras, audio recording devices and tripods; no video recording will be allowed
- Weapons of any kind, including guns, knives, pepper spray, handcuffs, nightsticks or other items
The inaugural Grand Prix of the Americas runs April 19-21.
[Source: Circuit of the Americas]