As we expected, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has announced a recall for the 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale following a similar recall in Canada. The recall affects all versions of the sportbike, including the base 1199 Panigale, 1199 Panigale S and the 1199 Panigale S Tricolore. Ducati is recalling the Panigale because a “non-compliant” […]
Ducati Desmosedici GP13 Specs Revealed
Ducati has revealed technical specifications on its Desmosedici GP13 MotoGP racer. The information is understandably vague in some areas, as manufacturers are hesitant in revealing too much information, and of course subject to change as the 2013 season progresses.
The GP13 specifications revealed aren’t too far off of the specifications revealed for the Desmosedici GP12 this time last year ahead of the 2012 MotoGP season. The GP13 is again powered by a 1000cc liquid-cooled 90-degree V4 four-stroke, desmodromic DOHC engine with four valves per cylinder. Ducati is vague in claiming the engine puts out “more than 235 hp”, but that’s at least a change from last year when Ducati claimed “more than 230 hp” out of the GP12.
Top speed is said to be “in excess of 330 km/h (205 mph)”, just like the GP12. Again, very vague, and it’s not like Ducati would say it’s slower than last year’s racebike. The Desmosedici GP13 is heavier however, with a claimed dry weight 353 pounds compared to 346 pounds last year, though that’s because MotoGP raised the minimum weight limit to 353 pounds (160 kg, to be exact).
What is interesting are some of the subtle difference between Andrea Dovizioso’s bike and Nicky Hayden’s. To the left is Dovizioso’s gear shifter and to the right is Hayden’s. At 5’8″, Hayden is about three inches taller than Dovizioso and you can see the difference in the foot control mounting.
Dovizioso also has a larger pad on the tail behind the seat than the one on Hayden’s bike. This is visible on Dovizioso’s GP13 above and Hayden’s directly below.
Ducati Desmosedici GP12 Technical Specifications:
- Engine: Liquid-cooled, 90 degree V4 four-stroke, desmodromic DOHC,
four valves per cylinder
- Capacity: 1,000cc
- Maximum power: More than 235hp
- Maximum speed: In excess of 330 km/h (205 mph)
- Transmission: Ducati Seamless Transmission (DST). Chain final drive
- Carburation: Indirect Magneti Marelli electronic injection, four throttle bodies with injectors above butterfly valves. Throttles operated by the new EVO 2 TCF (Throttle Control & Feedback) system
- Fuel: Shell Racing V-Power
- Lubricant: Shell Advance Ultra 4
- Ignition: Magneti Marelli
- Exhaust: Termignoni
- Final Drive: D.I.D Chain
- Frame: Aluminium
- Suspension: Öhlins inverted 48mm fork and Öhlins shock absorber, adjustable
for preload, new factory evolution damping system
- Tyres: Bridgestone 16.5” front and rear
- Brakes: Brembo, two 320mm carbon front discs with four-piston callipers.
Single stainless steel rear disc with two-piston calliper
- Dry weight: 160 kg (353 lbs.)