James Stewart has signed a multi-year contract with JGRMX, the motocross division of Joe Gibbs Racing. Stewart raced the last three years with the L & M Yamaha factory team, and he will continue with the Tuning Fork brand with JGRMX, riding a Yamaha YZ450F. The two-time AMA Supercross and one-time AMA Motocross Champion will […]
MotoGP Updates 2013 Calendar, Confirms Jerez and Reschedules Sachsenring
Dorna Sports has reached a new agreement with the Jerez de la Frontera circuit that would see the Spanish track stay on the MotoGP calendar through the 2015 season.
Jerez has been on the MotoGP tour since 1987 but its return for 2013 was put into jeopardy after the circuit went bankrupt in 2011. It’s not just the circuit that was in financial trouble. The entire Spanish city of Jerez has run out of money, being named the most indebted town in Spain by Time magazine.
Losing its MotoGP round, usually one of the higher draws on the calendar, would have been a blow to both the series and the community, so it was in the interests of both parties to get a deal done. The Jerez round will be held on May 5 as the third round of the 2013 season.
“It’s with great pleasure that I can announce the extension of the Jerez Grand Prix for a further three years,” says Carmelo Ezpeleta, chief executive officer of Dorna. “It is one of the key stops on the MotoGP calendar with an atmosphere bar none that attracts huge crowds from near and afar. It is also a popular venue with the riders, as the track’s nature makes it a great spectacle for some of the best racing in the world.”
Along with confirming Jerez on the schedule, Dorna announced the rescheduling of the German Grand Prix at Sachsenring. Originally booked for July 7, the round has been pushed back a week to July 14.
Updated 2013 MotoGP Calendar:
- April 7 Qatar – Doha/Losail
- April 21 United States – Austin
- May 5 Spain – Jerez
- May 19 France – Le Mans
- June 2 Italy – Mugello
- June 16 Catalunya – Catalunya
- June 29 Netherlands – Assen
- July 14 Germany – Sachsenring
- July 21 United States – Laguna Seca
- August 18 Indianapolis – Indianapolis
- August 25 Czech Republic – Brno
- September 1 Great Britain – Silverstone
- September 15 San Marino – Misano
- September 29 Aragon – Aragon
- October 13 Malaysia – Sepang
- October 20 Australia – Phillip Island
- October 27 Japan – Motegi
- November 10 Valencia – Valencia