To people who follow motorcycle land speed racing, Sam Wheeler is a household name. In almost 50 years of racing on the Bonneville Salt Flats, Wheeler has built the reputation as one of the premier streamliner builders and pilots in the world. Unlike other constructors going for the wheel-driven two-wheeled land speed record, Wheeler has previously […]
Kyle Wyman Wins AMA Pro Vance & Hines XR1200 Series Season Opener at Daytona, Repeating 2011 Victory
Kyle Wyman, number 33, took the win by a slim margin in the season-opening round of the 2012 AMA Pro Vance & Hines XR1200 series in Daytona. Wyman also won the 2011 opening round of the series held at Daytona.
Kyle Wyman, 22, of Macedon, N.Y., took the win in the March 16 opening round of the 2012 AMA Pro Vance & Hines XR1200 race series held at Daytona, effectively repeating his victory in 2011 during the inaugural round of the AMA Pro Vance & Hines XR1200 series also held at Daytona.
Riding his XR1200 (#33) for Kyle Wyman Racing/Vesrah Harley-Davidson, Wyman, who started from pole position, held off Michael Barnes (Bartels’ Harley-Davidson), David Estok (Trev Deeley Motorcycles) and Bartels’ H-D’s Tyler O’Hara in a tight four-way battle for the series-opening victory. Wyman’s winning margin over O’Hara was 0.117 seconds, with Barnes 0.413 seconds back for third place. Estok finished fourth, 0.785 seconds behind Wyman. The next closest racer, Darren James (Ruthless Racing/Deeley) finishing fifth, was more than nine seconds behind Wyman.
“It was really just like last year,” Wyman said in a release from Harley-Davidson. “Four riders at the front swapping positions and trying to play head games with each other where we were going to be on the last lap. I knew it was going to be a race from the last chicane to the checkers and that’s what it turned out to be. So I just wanted to be at the right place at the right time. I actually broke probably two or three hundred yards early going into the chicane and let them out maybe twenty bike lengths and that’s all I needed.”
Wyman’s win in the 2011 series opener was a similarly razor-thin victory, as he beat out RMR/Bruce Rossmeyer’s Daytona Racing/Revolution Performance rider Chris Fillmore by a mere 0.016 seconds.
The next round of the Vance & Hines XR1200 series will be April 20-22 at Road Atlanta in Braselton, GA.
Final Results from the Daytona round of the 2012 Vance & Hines XR1200 race series:
1. Kyle Wyman (KWR/Kuryakyn), 7 laps
2. Tyler O’Hara (Bartels’ H-D/Scrubblade), +0.117 second
3. Michael Barnes (Bartels’ H-D/Scrubblade), +0.413 second
4. David Estok (Trev Deeley Motorcycles), +0.785 second
5. Darren James (Ruthless Racing/Deeley), +9.376 seconds
6. Travis Wyman (Harv’s H-D), +9.387 seconds
7. Michael Corbino (XP Motorsports/Rossiter’s H-D), +9.428 seconds
8. Gerry Signorelli (Kuryakyn), +18.116 seconds
9. Josh Chisum (Bartels’ H-D/Scrubblade), +18.269 seconds
10. Nicholas Hansen (Suburban Motors H-D), +25.525 seconds
11. Jeremiah Johnson (BE-EV.com/New Roc H-D), +25.556 seconds
12. Brice Cooper (Woodstock H-D), +25.684 seconds
13. Benjamin Carlson (Suburban Motors H-D), +25.719 seconds
14. Paul Schwemmer (Peter Brady/Level 10 Contractors), +26.001 seconds
15. Russell Proctor (Tech Spec), 26.014 seconds
16. Paul James (Hoban Cycle/Woodstock H-D), +26.144 seconds
17. Chris Harmon (Vision H-D), +31.142 seconds
18. Matthew Heidel (Online Paddock/Down Home H-D), +1:20.603
19. Shane Narbonne (Suburban Motors H-D), -6 laps
20. James Pooler (VIB-ISO), DNS