Josh Burns of our sister site Off-Road.com was in Mexico to cover the 2011 SCORE Baja 1000. He sent us this report of the motorcycle results. For more, check out Off-Road.com and the related reading links at the bottom of this post.
After more than 14 hours of racing, the overall motorcycle win for the 2011 SCORE Baja 1000 still came down to the wire. At the finish line in Ensenada, Mexico, the 1x JCR Honda CRF450X and the 11x Kawasaki KX450F were separated by only 10 minutes, but in the end Kendall Norman, Quinn Cody and Logan Holladay earned another Baja 1000 victory for Honda.
This year, the Baja veterans Norman and Cody decided to add another racer due to the roughness of the course, and instead of taking on another racer with tons of Baja experience, they went with the talented rider but inexperienced Baja racer in Holladay. The JCR Honda 1x team decided it was a worthwhile risk.
“You know, it was a good thing. We need another guy for this race to break it up,” Cody said. “Last year it was the Peninsula run, 1100 miles, and we did it with two guys. But this course was so rough we needed to add another guy.
“We chose Logan, who is unproven. We took a big risk taking him on. This is his first Baja 1000, and we just decided to take a risk and we have faith in him. We put him on the bike for a good little over 100-mile section and he did awesome.”
Get the Flash Player to see this player.
The THR Motorsports Kawasaki gave them a legitimate challenge throughout the race. The team is a who’s who of off-road racing, led by rider of record Shane Esposito and featuring Robby Bell (pictured below), Steve Hengeveld, Bobby Garrison and David Pearson. The team stayed within a few minutes of the 1x bike for much of the day, even possibly taking the lead on corrected time at one point, but they were unable to get past the 1x bike and finished 10 minutes, 30 seconds behind the winners.
“When I got on the bike I knew we were pretty much equal on time [with JCR Honda],” Esposito said at this finish line. “I think I lost by a minute and a half to Kendall on my section, but I didn’t want to take any big chances I just wanted to get the bike to the next section. We were within about 30 seconds on time and then something happened with the lights. Hengeveld had to ride his section with one light, and then about halfway through my section it started working again and [I] had lights to the finish.
“But, you know, I’m happy no one went down, everyone’s healthy and we’re all here to come back and race again.”
The other JCR Honda bike, the 0x, finished in third place overall. They did, however, earn the season championship in the class. Colton Udall, David Kamo and Timmy Weigand earned the Class 22 with the finish, but they also did so while honoring fallen teammate Jeff “Ox” Kargola, who won the SCORE San Felipe 250 with Udall earlier in the year before passing away in a non-racing dirt bike accident in Baja. The team runs the 0x number in honor of “Ox.”
“He’s the reason why I’m winning this championship,” Udall said, saying he hopes he stays with him as motivation for the rest of his life.
SCORE Official Results
CLASS 22 (450cc or more, 12 Starters, 12 Finishers)
1. Kendall Norman, Santa Barbara, Calif./Quinn Cody, Los Olivos, Calif./Logan Holladay, Buellton, Calif., Honda CRF450X, 14:14:25, 49.51 mph
2. Shane Esposito, Lake Elsinore, Calif./Robby Bell, Menifee, Calif./Steve Hengeveld, Flagstaff, Ariz./Bobby Garrison, Hesperia, Calif./David Pearson, Panaca, Nev., Kawasaki, KX450F, 14:24:55
3. Colton Udall, San Clemente, Calif./David Kamo, Caldwell, Idaho/Timmy Weigand, Valencia, Calif., Honda CRF450X, 14:31:10
4. A.J. Stewart, Jamul, Calif./Donald Stanley, San Clemente, Calif./Justin Morgan, Alpine, Calif./Corey Freeman, Fallbrook, Calif./Kevin Johnson, Boulder City, Nev., Honda CRF450X, 17:00:59
5. Francisco Arredondo, Guatemala/Nicholas Burson, Ridgecrest, Calif./Justin Morrow, Pinon Hills, Calif./Ryan Dudek, Long Beach, Calif., Honda CRF450X, 17:13:24
6. Trent Burgiss, Hood River, Ore., KTM XC-W530, 21:28:24
7. Felipe Prohens/Jaime Prohens, Chile/Chris Ridgway, Apple Valley, Calif., Honda CRF450X, 21:53:50
8. Jim Owens, Scotts Valley, Calif./Arik Swan/Eric Pucelik, Santa Cruz, Calif./Bobby Bartholomew, Watsonville, Calif., Husqvarna TXC450, 22:00:22
9. Rory Sullivan, White Salmon, Wash./Joey Lancaster, Troutdale, Ore./Miles Warren, Olympia, Wash/Anthony Cenitti, Corbett, Ore., Honda CRF450X, 23:20:53
10. Jack Lundin, Anaheim, Calif./Lukas Lundin, Canada/Peter Lofuerius/PG Lundmark, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda CRF450X, 23:21:55
11. Craig Bowman, Kelso, Wash/John Bredfield, Castle Rock, Wash./Ace Nilson, Reno, Nev./Ken Wortman, Canada/Anna Cody, Lancaster, Calif., Honda CRF450X, 25:28:34; 12. Thomas Barnabic, Silt, Colo., Honda CRF450X, 28:18:48
CLASS 21 (450cc or less, 7 Starters, 6 Finishers)
1. Trevor Insley, San Clemente, Calif./Bill Gilbert, Ladera Ranch, Calif./Morgan Crawford, Sanger, Calif./Ian Young, San Clemente, Calif., Ryan Kudla, Oxnard, Calif., Dennis Green, Palm Springs, Calif., Matt Carlson, Sachse, Texas, Honda CRF450X, 16:31:27, 42.66 mph
2. Chris Parker, Costa Mesa, Ariz./Austin Miller, Dripping, Texas/James Hall, Malibu, Calif./Graham Gustin, Costa Mesa, Calif., Honda CRF450X, 18:46:22
3. David Gonzalez Jr/Carlos Casas, Chula Vista, Calif./Bruce Stavron, San Clemente, Calif., KTM 450XCW, 19:14:20
4. Brody Kunz, Durango, Colo./Chris Parr, Colorado Springs, Colo./Kirk Russell, San Diego, Kawasaki KLX450, 21:17:44
5. Willy Miller, Pasco, Wash./Marco Bernaldez/Carlos Miranda/Ricardo Munoz, Ensenada, Mexico, Honda CRF450X, 22:58:19
6. Adam Neuwirth, Los Angeles/Marc Samuels, Yucca Valley, Calif./Brandon Prieto, Ensenada, Mexico/Mark Filler Brown, Honda CRF450X, 29:36:49
CLASS 30 (Riders over 30 years old, 6 Starters, 4 Finishers)
1. Mike Johnson, El Paso, Texas/Brian Pinard, Sun City, Calif./Rex Cameron, Albuquerque, N.M./Francisco Septien, Ensenada, Mexico/Chuck Dempsey, Oak Hills, Calif./Scott Myers, Menifee, Calif., Honda CRF450X, 17:08:10 (41.14 mph)
2. Rodrigo Basave, Highlands Ranch, Calif./Alvaro Garcia/Carlos Garcia, Zapopan, Mexico/Rafael Garcia, Guadalajara, Mexico, Honda CRF450X, 22:02:07
3. Octavio Valle, Zapopan, Mexico/Gerardo Rojas, Vicente Guerrero, Mexico/Guillermo Gomez, Guadalajara, Mexico, Honda CRF450X, 22:40:52
4. Hiram Figueroa, Puerto Rico/Adrian Valdez, Tijuana, Mexico/Marco Cornejo, San Diego, Honda CRF450X, 26:27:48
CLASS 40 (Riders over 40 years old, 9 Starters, 6 Finishers)
1. Jeff Kaplan, Thousand Oaks, Calif./Ron Wilson, Encinitas, Calif./Jeff Sheets, Henderson, Nev./Brett Helm, Poway, Calif./Chuck Dempsey, Oak Hills, Calif., Honda CRF450X, 17:47:09 (39.54 mph)
2. Ronnie Mitchell, Patterson, Calif./Tex Mitchell, San Marcos, Calif./Randy Havener, Patterson, Calif., Honda CRF450X, 19:41:15
3. Mike Prunty/Sterlyn Rigsby/Collie Potter, Temecula, Calif./Lester Lehigh, Bishop, Calif., Honda CRF450X, 21:21:10
4. Dave Kanarska, Santee, Calif./John Griffin, Lake Forest, Calif./Biovanni Spinali, La Mesa, Calif./Dirk MacFarlane, Pennington, N.J., Honda XR650R, 23:45:52
5. Graham Cruickshank, El Segundo, Calif./Jim Buckingham, Palmdale, Calif./Tom Bea, Pasadena, Calif., Honda CRF450X, 28:09:00
6. Rob Barnum, Phelan, Calif./Mike Kay, San Clemente, Calif./Jack McCormick, Tempe, Ariz./Sergio Vega, Ensenada, Mexico, Husqvarna TC510, 29:36:42
CLASS 50 (Riders over 50 years old, 4 Starters, 2 Finishers)
1. Jim O’Neal, Simi Valley, Calif./Mark Winkelman, Cedar Hill, Texas/Andy Kirker, Lake Forest, Calif./Dan Dawson, Agua Dulce, Calif./Steve Williams, Tehachapi, Calif./Bob Johnson, Oceanside, Calif./Greg Fountain, Lake Forest, Calif., Honda CRF450X, 19:03:35 (36.99 mph)
2. Jim Dizney, Alpine, Calif./Eric McKenna, Loomis, Calif./Dave Potts, Burbank, Calif./Charlie Marshal, Carmichael, Calif., Honda CRF450X, 29:25:01
CLASS 60 (Riders over 60 years old, 2 Starters, 1 Finisher)
1. Richard Jackson, Acton, Calif./Mark Force/Guy Wilson, Bakersfield, Calif./Al Perrett, Canada, Honda CRF450X, 24:39:03 (28.60 mph)